Are you an innovative and energetic firmware engineer with success in designing, developing and testing embedded software in wireless sensors and monitoring applications? Do you thrive on writing programs that enable sensors to monitor motion and temperature for commercial and industrial applications? If this is you, apply today! This is a fantastic opportunity to join mCloud and our Vancouver based NYCE team as we journey to connect energy-intensive assets all over the world. NYCE designs and manufactures IoT sensors for smart home, smart building, smart city, hospitality, homecare, elderly care, and healthcare markets. We are a proud component of mCloud's bold new vision to create a more efficient future using AI and Analytics. With your tech talents, you will write programs for ZigBee sensors and help expand the family of our low-power, low-cost battery-operated devices and create new IOT sensors in novel environments.
mCloud is one of Canada’s fastest growing tech companies and we need an entrepreneurial and competent firmware engineer who excels in a nimble and results-driven environment. At mCloud there’s opportunity around every corner, change is embraced rather than feared, and progress over perfection is the pathway to getting things done.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design, implement, test and document embedded software for wireless sensor products, especially for the ZigBee Protocol
- Test sensor products in various networks using packet sniffers and other debugging tools to troubleshoot and solve software and hardware issues
- Work on multiple sensors and collaborate on software development with other firmware and hardware engineers
- Write and execute software test plans
- Direct problem-solving activities to improve performance and reliability
- Create scalable solutions that can be used for a diversity of products
- Select, install, configure, and maintain development tools
- Keep up to date with industry standards and seek inspiration from the latest and greatest trends in developing IoT sensors
- Document firmware engineering procedures and knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- 5+ years’ of related programming in C and git expertise
- 3+ years' experience developing embedded systems, preferably with an ARM processor
- Working knowledge of Windows and Linux
- Experience with SPI, I2C
- Background in learning an existing codebase and maintaining and improving it
- Expertise integrating with third party software
- Familiarity with packet sniffers such as Wireshark
- Project planning and execution skills
- Excellent spoken and written English communication skills
- Valid passport as international travel may be required
Nice To Haves:
- Familiarity with ZigBee is a great asset
- Experience with debugging wireless networking
- Understanding of IAR Embedded Workbench, gnu ARM toolchain
- Knowledge of Home Automation systems (e.g. SmartThing, Control4)
- Competency with Python
- Experience with basic electronics tools like multimeters and oscilloscopes
- Leadership/management experience in leading projects, mentoring junior engineers
You are confident and have a winning teamwork attitude in taking products from concept to market. With your self-starter attitude, you multitask and adapt to changing priorities. You are creative in troubleshooting and problem-solving and excel in a dynamic work environment. Overall, you navigate and act inclusively and collaboratively in an organization that brings together many different perspectives and skill sets from all over the world.
mCloud is unlocking the untapped potential of energy-intensive assets using IoT, AI, and the cloud. We operate three lines of business, connecting and optimizing assets like HVAC units in commercial buildings, wind turbines in renewable energy, and the control systems at process industry facilities. We’re a global company, headquartered in Calgary with a presence across North America, the UK and continental Europe, the Middle East, Southeast Asia, and China.
Today, we connect and manage over 59,000 energy assets through our AssetCare™️ platform. We help our customers double asset productivity, reduce their asset energy consumption by up to 25%, and triple the speed at which they are able to respond to the unexpected. mCloud helps eliminate about 80,000 tons in greenhouse gas emissions every year – or the same amount of GHG emitted by 18,000 passenger cars on the road.
Solving the world’s most challenging energy problems is hard work – it takes dedicated, talented, and innovative people working together as one team to make it all happen. We are a team, which means "we" comes before "me." And we are driven to deliver measurable, bottom-line results for our customers everywhere through our technology. We get stuff done and we have fun doing it!
Why you want to join our team:
If you want to be part of an elite team with the ambition to become Canada’s next big unicorn tech company, mCloud is the place for you. We are a team that helps one another succeed and thrive – you will get the autonomy, support, and flexibility you need to be successful from every part of our business.
Why you shouldn't join our team:
We are busy! We work hard. We are a global company, so our hours are not standard. Sometimes you have to be up really early or work really late to meet with people in different time zones, but with that comes flexibility.
Our expectations are incredibly high. This is not an organization where you can hide or not constantly be driving for results.
No day is ever the same, and most days, you come in with a list of things to do, and then something happens, and you need to pivot.
We do not tolerate people who are only in it for themselves. We are a team, and we are all in the business of helping those around us succeed. We expect and demand nothing less.
Closing Date: May 30th, 2021